Pages

Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Big and the Little


It has been 2 weeks, 1 Hawaii vacation, and 1 first day of school since my last post. This means I am due for a new one. Trouble is, I have no new thoughts. Or more accurately, they have been thoughts along the lines of "Where on earth did they hide the Psych room?" "Did he really just LICK that?!?" and "rolloverhitthesnoozebutton....10moreminutes1omore." The last one really is how I think at 6 am. And multiple paragraphs of these sort of thoughts don't make for much of an edifying blog post. Instead, here are 5 things I'm thankful for, big and little, in no particular order.

1. Words For many reasons, words are one of my very favorite things. They are how people communicate, whether it be talking, or emails, or books, or letters, or postcards. Written words are how God chose to communicate with us. They are how people miles apart can stay in touch, and how mom can remind you via sticky-note that you really need to clean your room. We make ourselves known through them, teach through them, share through them.

2. Coffee surprise! Not only do I love it for the caffeine content and the smell, I love how it allows for people to just sit. The same goes for tea. Nothing else says to a person "I want you to stay for awhile to talk" than handing them a mug of something warm. After all, they have to wait for the beverage to cool some, and then they have to drink it all. It gives you a good 1/2 hr to an hr., and by then you'll have a good conversation rolling and all thoughts of science homework have gone out the door. Cheers!

3. Clouds I grew up in a place with trees. Lots and lots of very tall trees. It wasn't until I moved to a tree-less city that I really saw the sky- and the clouds in it. Cirrus clouds are my favorite, the thin whispy type, like ribbons across the sky. Cirrus clouds means high winds and unfavorable flying conditions. There's one outside my window now, it's a color undefinable by Crayola crayon, but looks like the center of a Cadbury Egg. Clouds make me think: about the weather that's coming, about the sort of shapes they could be, about the colors they are, about how neat it was that God gave us so much to wonder about and enjoy in a fluff of condensed water vapor.

4. Movies & Friends & Sugar Particularly tonight, when some of my favorite people are coming over to watch one of my favorite books (made into a motion picture, obviously) and eat some of my favorite types of cookies. And almost every other night, when I get to watch a.) a cop show b.)a spy/sci-fi/thriller drama show or c.) this is my developmentally-disabled child and these are the great lengths I go to to "..........." movie with my family, who pretty much only likes 3 types of entertainment.

5. First Days of School Really, I am thankful for the fact that I can spend the first week recovering from whatever break I was currently on by listening to my Professor read aloud the syllabus. It's a wonderful thing, knowing 90% of the time there will be no homework assigned on the first day, and if it is, it's usually just an assignment to go home and read the syllabus yourself. It's like a welcome-back gift!

There they were, 5 things. This type of post will appear every once in awhile when I have little else to write about. I realize I am not thankful enough, when I have so much to be thankful for. Though I deserve nothing and salvation is the greatest gift, God has still given me this life to live and enjoy! So I will be greatful for it and enjoy the masterpiece God has created in the sky while drinking a cup of coffee.




1 comment:

  1. why did you have a picture of us and then titled the blog "Big and Little"? And then you weren't thankful for me who teaches you big words and brings you yummy hot beverages and sits through lots of movies w/ you and gave you numerous first days of school. Can't do anything about the clouds.

    ReplyDelete