Pages

Friday, June 3, 2011

Staff Training: WVA 2011



I'm riding once again in a Worldview 15 passenger van, traveling through Kansas. I'm not sure what number state this is. :)
Staff training finished up not even an hour ago. I'm pretty sure we all just stepped off the plane into Tulsa and into so many loving arms. "Surreal" is how I would describe the week. Training was held on the Oklahoma Weslyan campus ,where my team had spent 2 weeks the previous year. I kept expecting to see their faces or hear their laughs as I passed certain spots, jerking quickly back to the present. I realized I was transferring the relationships from the end of last summer and expecting them to materialize among 18 strangers. A friend told me I couldn't re-create what I had never created in the first place. So over games resulting in multiple bruises, lots of cafeteria food (for me this was a steady diet of yogurt and granola, waffles, pb&j, soft serve ice cream and salad), and rolling numerous t-shirts, our team has started to come together. We also discovered a mutual love of good, strong, black coffee and are so equipped with 2 drip coffee filters and 1 french press.
A lot of logistics were discussed, from setting up banners and small groups to skits and opening day procedures. A morning Bible study held by one of the camp directors explored the theme of mercy throughout the Psalms. My mindset coming into training wasn't really one of dependence on God- I was so excited to be at camp and wrapped up in doing a 'good job' I lost some of my reasons for being there. I was hit soundly over the back of the head within these Psalms, facing God- whose power and might and justice should terrify us- and realizing my absolute helplessness before Him. But (and this is a wonderful thing) His steadfast love and faithfulness precede Him. And God keeps the promises He makes, not because any of our actions merit it, but because He is God and completely faithful to His word. We walk then with strength and dignity, knowing that through no action of our own the God of the Universe is behind us.
Tonight we had a girls' night: Olive Garden and Starbucks, where we quoted "Emperor's New Groove" like nobody's business and then had the opportunity to share our testimonies with each other. Sitting around that table in the warm Missouri air I could almost feel God's grace around us. Each of our stories was different in a way, but each one there had been gripped mightily by the grace of God. It was just the beginning of some of the truly awe-some things God will do this summer, and I revel in it.
Pray For Us :
1. Continue to pray for unity: again, our team is still learning to know each other and work together, now with the addition of running camp.
2. Pray for wisdom: For some of us, it's the very first week of camp ever; others, their first time staffing; still more us coming back for the 2nd or more year. However, the camp is still new, the students are different and we all need wisdom in leading it and them.
3. Pray for the students: Pray all the knowledge and truth they learn this week will be strongly tempered with grace. Pray a deeper knowledge, and then love, of God will be rooted deep in their hearts.


1 comment: